Understanding weed categories:
There are 2 categories of weeds:
• Grow from seed and mature in 1 season
• Fast growing, some complete several lifecycles in a season
• Produce large quantities of seeds that can be viable in soil for years
• Easier to control
• Control them before they flower
• Live for many years
• Produce large quantities of seed per season
• Survive winter by storing food in their roots
• More hardy and difficult to control
• Control is only achieved by killing every single piece of root
Winning the war against weeds…
Finding the fastest and most effective weed control requires knowledge of some simple basics:
Methods of control:
Hand weeding, hoeing, forking or mulching
There is a wide selection of weedkilling treatments available that offer 4 different modes of action to tackle a variety of weeds.
For best results, use a combination of both cultural and weedkilling treatments.
4 main modes of action
(some treatments include more than one mode of action):
Contact Action Weedkillers: Destroys the leafy plant above soil level. Fast action, starts to kill the leaves on contact, effects noticeable in days. Excellent for annual weeds.
Systemic Action Weedkillers: Absorbed through leaves and stems into sap stream and circulated through the plant. Kills the entire weed and root. Extremely effective on annuals and perennials. Effects seen in weeks.
Residual Action Weedkillers: Remain active in soil, killing weeds at germination to offer a longer term control. Prevents new growth of annuals and perennials.
Selective Action Weedkillers: Kills specific types of plants without harming others. Ideal for controlling broadleaf weeds in lawns.
For Best results: Combine cultural and weedkilling treatment methods and focus on key timings. Bayer Garden Weedkillers are tailored to suit specific areas of your garden and conveniently colour-coded so that selecting the right product couldn’t be simpler.